Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Trying My Hand at Building!

Here is what my 4-year-old daughter and I have been working on! We got the plans from Anna White at Knockoffwood.com. She has an amazing array of furniture plans that she offers for free use. After looking at all the incredible photos of what beginning builders (and by beginning I mean, "I have never built anything in my life" builders) I got inspired and thought maybe I could do something like that. This is my very first project, and I had some trouble with my boards not being perfectly straight so it's not totally plum but I am pretty proud of it for a first try! I still have to finish the screws in the top (drill is charging) and then I will paint it. But here she is in all her unfinished glory!

I tried this one first because it seemed to be one of her easiest projects.

Things I discovered along the way:
Straight boards may not be truly straight, even if you do all the right checking for straightness!
It is very difficult to hold two long boards at right angles by yourself while you screw them together! (Maybe this was the real problem!) My daughter helped me hold the boards and watched to make sure the screws didn't pop through the wood at the wrong angle. She was so proud of helping me build it! I took pictures of her but now can't find them on my card. Sigh.

The next projects on my list are Anna's toddler picnic table, the activity table and bunk beds! My husband will have to help me with those I think! Check out her site and get inspired and start building whatever you need (want) in your house!

3 comments:

  1. Hi!
    What did you cut the wood with (what kind of saw)?
    This is a sofa table or the like?
    What color are you going to paint it?
    So many questions! :)
    I am proud of you, too, for making this- I have NEVER made a wood project either!
    I am going to check out knockoffwood.com!
    Show us when you are done with it, and add your girly ;)
    Blessings to you and your home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I had it cut at Home Depot. Ana includes a cutting list with her plans and I just took that with me to the store. It is like a sofa table--I am going to put it in my dining room for a type of sideboard. I like that it is so narrow. What to paint it? That is my dilemma right now! I have seen several on her site that are stained and that looks nice, but I am thinking of painting it (maybe) an espresso color. I am having a hard time knowing what type of finish though--glossy, satin??? I will try to decide soon and I will post pictures! Blessings to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job. I really like it.

    ReplyDelete